Notice to Dog Owners

Pursuant to Section 174.052 of the Wisconsin Statutes, the Barron County Board of Supervisors, through this notice, advise all dog owners in Barron County that state law requires dogs to be vaccinated against rabies and to be licensed. State law defines an owner as anyone who owns, harbors or keeps a dog.

Rabies Vaccination Required: Section 95.21(2) of the Wisconsin Statutes requires dog owners to have a veterinarian vaccinate each dog against rabies. A dog must be vaccinated no later than 5 months of age and revaccination required within one year after the initial vaccination. Older dogs already vaccinated must be revaccinated before the vaccination certificate expires or, if the certificate does not specify an expiration date, within 3 years of the previous vaccination.

Dog Licenses: Section 174.05 requires that dogs 5 months of age or older be licensed annually. The license year begins January 1 and continues through the following December 31. The minimum dog license tax is $5 for a neutered male dog or spayed female dog (upon presentation of evidence that the dog is neutered or spayed), and $10 for an unneutered male dog or unspayed female dog, or one-half of these amounts if the dog became 5 months of age after July 1 of the license year. Multiple dog licenses are $35 for those that have 12 or fewer dogs and an additional $5 for each dog in excess of 12. The governing body of any town, village, or city may by resolution raise the minimum dog license tax on dogs within its jurisdiction.

Penalties: An owner who fails to have a dog vaccinated against rabies may be required to forfeit not less than $50 and not more than $100 for each dog not vaccinated. An owner who fails to obtain a license before April 1 of a license year will be required to pay a late fee of $5 for each dog not licensed before that date. Failure to license a dog can also result in a  forfeiture of up to $500 for each offense.  Pursuant to Section 174.15 of the Wisconsin Statutes, however, any person who violates Section 174 shall be fined not more than $500 or imprisoned up to 60 days or both.

Where to Get a License: Your city, town or village treasurer issues dog licenses and will require owners to pay the dog license or multiple license tax and to provide evidence of the dog’s rabies immunization. Please contact your municipal treasurer to obtain a dog license.

Municipal Officer Contact Information

Barron County Animal Control Ordinance 

If you have found a stray dog, please call the Barron County Dispatch Center at 715-537-3106.

Barron County Animal Control Officer
Deputy Abby Bird 
Phone: 715-537-3106